Sunday, July 22, 2012

Review: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Author Info: Website | Goodreads
Published: December 28, 2006
Publisher: Dutton Books
Pages: 221
Age Group: Young Adult
Format I Own: Paperback
Purchase: Amazon
Rating: 5/5

This is the second book I've read by John Green so far (the first being The Fault in Our Stars) and I loved it every bit as much as Looking for Alaska. Gosh I don't even know what to say about this book, I'm finding it quite difficult to come up with reasons why I liked it so much, which seems to be common among people who rate books they loved.

I loved the characters, all of them, particularly Alaska. I found her to be quite intriguing. But I will say that it was a little irritating that she would get super cranky at times, and it was never really discovered what exactly she was so cranky about. And then there's the main plot point in this book which wasn't 100% resolved, which left me feeling kind of an empty void, but at the same time it fits in well with the story, it would have been unrealistic to get the answers to all the questions that were asked. Often times when someone is put into that experience, they are left with a lot of questions, that can never be answered but will still tear you up inside. However I feel like not knowing kind of drew me closer to the characters and everything they were going through.

This book is definitely one that will have you questioning a lot about life, and why we are the way that we are. It's something I think about from time to time anyways, but this book brought me right back into that mind setting. Very thought provoking, and just an altogether amazing read.

No comments:

Post a Comment