Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Review: Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Author Info: Website | GoodReads
Published: May 24, 2011
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Pages: 396
Age Group: Young Adult
Format I Own: Hardcover
Purchase: Amazon

Every now and then I get in the mood for something humorous and quirky, and that's how I was feeling when I picked up this book. It had been on my wishlist for a little while and sounded like it was going to be really funny. And it definitely was.

This book is full of wacky, fast-paced fun action. There was not a dull moment in this book, it goes straight from one crazy hilarious event after another, and they just got better and better as the book went on. I felt that the majority of the characters all had their own personalities that made them totally unique from each other, but there were a few that fell flat and were generally unmemorable, and thus also didn't play too big of a role in the story.

Much like Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, I felt like this book was quite heavy on the language for being YA, and also a little heavy on sexual references as well. It doesn't bother me at all, just surprises me.

Now I know a lot are saying this book reminded them of Miss Congeniality or Lord of the Flies, and I do agree with that, but the main thing this book reminds me of is a little known independent film I watched ages ago titled Death to the Supermodels. The plots aren't entirely the same, but there are many similarities.

If you're looking for a book that will keep you laughing with it's random, kooky adventures, of beauty queens surviving on an island, or you are a fan of Libba Bray's sense of humor, I recommend this.

1 comment:

  1. Have this on my TBR list, sounds interesting. New follower :)
    Chrystina @BookLiaison

    ReplyDelete